This is a Victorian engraving of the interior of the chapel looking east towards the choir. The three pillars in the retro-choir can just be discerned. The Prince’s Pillar, or Apprentice Pillar, can just be seen in the background to the right. Notice also that the statue of the Virgin and Child is not in place on the central pillar, behind the altar and below the window, indicating that this was engraved early in the 18th century. The two figures to the left of centre are clearly admiring the interior and are not there as worshippers – yet another indication, if one were needed, that the Chapel has long been a place of interest to visitors.

In several ways this engraving can be considered rather crude and is certainly lacking in detail but it does provide some interesting information. The side aisles can be seen more clearly that in photographs and it also reveals that the ceilings in the side aisles contain hollow spaces. The windows in the walls of the choir do not appear to have glass in them but do appear to have wooden shutters – another indication that the engraving was made before the present stained glass was added after 1862. The engraving was made therefore for this publication and suggests that the author was attempting to be as accurate as the means allowed. The barrel ceiling shows the panels as they exist today but unfortunately there is insufficient detail to make any further observation.

This engraving was reproduced in ‘An Account of the Chapel of Roslin – 1778’ published by the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 2002. Click on the link above should you be interested in reading a review of that publication.

The picture is reproduced here courtesy of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and it has to be said that the engraving as reproduced by that body is far superior to the one shown above.